Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Something Newer

There's a tree at the trolley stop in Hazard Center.  I see it through the window at 40+ mph twice a day.  The leaves are green and even when we speed by I can see them twist and shake in the breeze.

It's a very unassuming tree.  Simple.  Happy.  Oblivious to the fact that it's completely surrounded by concrete, asphalt and assholes.  Some symbiotic urban planner's attempt at recreating nature in the city.

But there it is.  And every day I watch it from the window and imagine for half a second what would have happened if the tree had been planted somewhere else.  Would it be happier there?  Or would it miss the artificial wind of the train?

**When I travel I usually carry one of my little notebooks with me, just in case I feel like writing something down.  I bought this one while I was in San Diego (sometime in 2009)  and that's what I wrote on the first page.  Not super pleasant is it?

No comments:

Post a Comment